Skip to main content

Giants 2010 Roster Preview and Predictions

Like we do here around the middle of every spring, I wanted to give my thoughts as to how the Giants roster will look come opening day, and give my best estimate as to what their players will do in the 2010 season (Keep in mind I reserve the right to change these a bit before opening day). So here we go:

2010 Giants Projected Roster

Lineup:

1. CF Aaron Rowand ( .272 avg, 13 hr, 68 RBI, 79 runs, 7 sb .756 OPS)
2. 2B Freddy Sanchez* ( .295, 10 hr, 57 RBI, 75 runs, 2 sb, .751 OPS)
3. 3B Pablo Sandoval ( .315, 28 hr, 102 RBI, 84 runs, 6 sb, .975 OPS)
4. 1B Aubrey Huff ( .261, 21 hr, 82 RBI, 65 runs, 1 sb, .790 OPS)
5. LF Mark DeRosa ( .279, 18 hr, 80 RBI, 72 runs, 2 sb, .794 OPS)
6. RF Nate Schierholtz (.285, 12 hr, 52 RBI, 52 runs, 8 sb, .747 OPS)
7. Bengie Molina ( .272, 13 hr, 65 RBI, 40 runs, 0 sb, .729 OPS)
8. Edgar Renteria (.269, 8 hr, 53 RBI, 58 runs, 9 sb, .710 OPS)

Bench:

C/1B Buster Posey ( .287 avg., 10 hr, 48 rbi, 41 runs, 11 sb, .773 OPS)
IF Juan Uribe ( .272, 17 hr, 66 rbi, 53 runs, 3 sb, .792)
Ut. Eugenio Velez ( .270, 4 hr, 38 rbi, 42 runs, 13 sb, .721)
OF Fred Lewis ( .275, 5 hr, 25 rbi, 30 runs, 9 sb, .765)
OF Andres Torres ( .263, 4 hr, 27 rbi, 22 runs, 7 sb, .755)
OF Jon Bowker** ( .259, 7 hr, 21 rbi, 19 runs, 2 sb, .723 OPS)

Pitchers

Starters:

RHP Tim Lincecum (16-7, 3.02 era, 211 IP, 220 K's, 1.14 WHIP)
RHP Matt Cain (15-8, 3.37 era, 231 IP, 200 K's, 1.20 WHIP)
LHP Barry Zito (12-12, 3.92 era, 198 IP, 137 K's, 1.32 WHIP)
LHP Jonathan Sanchez (11-10, 4.12 era, 180 IP, 189 K's, 1.32 WHIP)
LHP Madison Bumgarner+(8-6, 4.27 era, 97 IP, 77 K's, 1.35 WHIP)
RHP Todd Wellemeyer ++ (3-7, 4.57 era, 76 IP, 59 K's, 1.41 WHIP)

Bullpen

CL Brian Wilson ( 4-4, 72 games, 44 saves, 2.62 era)
LH Jeremy Affeldt ( 3-1, 80 games, 36 holds, 2.92 era)
RH Sergio Romo ( 5-6, 73 games, 25 holds, 3.54 era)
LH Dan Runzler ( 2-2, 66 games, 5 saves, 2.87 era)
RH Brandon Medders ( 3-5, 70 games, 4.32 era)
RH Guillermo Mota ( 3-2, 69 games, 3.77 era)
RH Henry Sosa ( 1-3, 52 games, 4 starts, 4.14 era)

This is just a rough estimate as to what these guys will do during the course of the regular season and this is, of course, if each player stays healthy throughout the course of the season, which is highly unlikely. I think the Huff and DeRosa predictions would be ones that the Giants would gladly take out of each player, but both very reachable. Jonathan Sanchez and Barry Zito will improve upon last year, Lincecum's numbers will probably take a small hit, but still be very good, and Matt Cain will continue building on last years success. In the bullpen, I'm expecting the best of Brian Wilson to date, and also looking for Dan Runzler to emerge as a potential closer-type this season.

* Freddy Sanchez starts year on DL
**Starts year on 25-man instead of F. Sanchez
+Bumgarner starts year in Fresno
++Wellemeyer starts season in rotation, but gives way to MadBum

Comments

Richard said…
You're a glass half full kinda guy, aren't you Trevor? I think the Giants would love your predictions to come true. I know I would!
hitnrun said…
Trevor, the figures for the regular lineup and the bench players are pretty optimistic, but you are right that Huff and DeRosa's numbers look do-able and they MUST produce to support this offense. Do you think that Rowand stays at the leadoff spot all year? Ford is probably a year or two away, but he is exactly the type of guy they need at the top of the lineup.
Trevor Cole said…
Yeah, again, these are just starting points, I'm bound to throw a few changes in there before he regular season. A few of these guys like Rowand, Sanchez and Schierholtz, I'm hoping for better things out of this year so I'm hoping my optimism helps yield results!

I'm with you hitnrun, I really like Ford and he's came a long way in the last year and a half and he looks like he gets it. I hope he gets a look in '10 if Rowand isn't cutting it.
Trevor Cole said…
Also, no, I don't think Rowand will be there all year, but who knows, he thrived there in his stint last year, and there really isn't a better candidate at the ML Level yet. As we mentioned, Ford looks like a guy worth giving a shot, but keep in mind he's yet to play much at all past A ball. I think Velez could get some looks there and Freddy Sanchez may not be a bad back up options should Rowand not produce.
Anonymous said…
Hello. And Bye.
Anonymous said…
Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.
Anonymous said…
Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.
Anonymous said…

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this web site before but after browsing through many of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I discovered it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD SERIES: Giants Move Up 2-0 on Texas

PreGame After taking game one in a surprising slug-fest , the Giants look to go up 2-0 on the Rangers in the World Series on Thursday night. The Giants are sending out Matt Cain, a guy who I'm sure every Giants' fan is pretty confident in. He'll be a opposed by C.J. Wilson, who's in his first year as a full-time starter, but has been brilliant in the role. He did struggle his last time out though, so hopefully the Giants can get to him early and get into his head a bit. I'm going to do something I've never done here on this unique occasion, and sort of do an in-game post. updating this post every time I feel I have something to add. So go Giants, and be sure to check back throughout the game, and after, to vent or whatever! As long as Matt Cain keeps rolling, and the Giants keep coming up with those clutch 2-out hits, we should be OK. Texas has that high-powered offense that can score in a hurry, as we saw last night, so the Giants cannot let down and have to t

Giants Still Need Infield Help

On Saturday, the Giants finalized a 2 year contract extension with Freddy Sanchez, who they acquired in July for Tim Alderson. The new deal for Sanchez will pay him 12 million over the next 2 seasons instead of 8.5 million for just 2010, which was his option for 2010. I've voiced my disappointment in Sanchez a few times here since the Giants dealt for him over the summer. He wasn't able to stay on the field full time to help this club with their run at the NL Wild Card, and even when he was in there, he didn't seem to make much of an impact in th e lineup. Now, I wasn't necessarily hoping the Giants would cut ties with Sanchez (they probably would have had to pay 4 million or so to buy him out), just didn't think he was worth upwards of 10 million dollars, and would have liked to see the Giants pursue someone like Orlando Hudson with that money. The Giants already have an infielder who's being paid about 3-4 times what his play over the last 2 seasons would indi

Giants Notes: Lincecum Signs, Ross to Boston

Well, even though I touched on it a little bit in our last post, I haven't really had a chance to get my thoughts out on the new Lincecum deal since he and the Giants agreed earlier in the week. Also, on the other end of things, the Giants missed out on shoring up their outfield by letting Cody Ross sign in Boston for only $3 million in 2012. First off, obviously, wanted to talk a bit about Lincecum. I've already said here that I didn't expect him to sign a long-term deal that takes him through free agency, but it doesn't mean he wants to leave San Francisco like everyone is suspecting. I mean, if I were Lincecum, I'd probably do the same thing, even if I planned on eventually signing with the Giants long-term. Why take a chance at mitigating your value to just sign a deal? Granted, a 5 year, $100 million deal isn't anything to sneeze at, in this market, if he were a free agent, Lincecum could probably easily command a 8 year, $200 million deal. If he could get